Optional Post-Conference Workshops
Tuesday, December 12, 2017
Both workshops are offered free of charge to delegates with a valid conference registration.
Industry professionals interested in the CHIA certification but who are not planning to attend the conference should contact STR directly for information regarding fees and registration.
Space for both seminars is limited: Reserve your seat today!
Certification in Hotel Industry Analytics (CHIA), offered by the STR SHARE Center
8:30 AM – 4:00 PM (Room opens at 8:00 AM), Rosen College Room 102-R
The Certification in Hotel Industry Analytics (CHIA) is the leading certification for graduate students and faculty in Hospitality and Tourism programs. This recognition provides evidence of a thorough knowledge of the foundational metrics, definitions, formulas and methodologies that are used by the hotel industry. Recipients have proven that they can “do the math” and interpret the results. They have demonstrated an ability to analyze various types of hotel industry data and to make strategic inferences based upon that analysis. Certification also confirms a comprehensive understanding of benchmarking and performance reports that are used by industry professionals. Recipients have a grasp of the current landscape of the hotel industry, including relevant current events.
Seminar Core Content Areas:
- Hotel Industry Analytical Foundations
- Hotel Math Fundamentals: The metrics used by the Hotel Industry
- Property Level Benchmarking (STAR Reports)
- Hotel Industry Performance Reports (Trends, P&L, Pipeline, and Destination Reports)
There is no advance knowledge required for this seminar. You can find more information about the CHIA certification at https://www.strglobal.com/products/chia
To register, please email email@example.com
PLS-SEM: A Hands-On Training Using SmartPLS, offered by Dr. Faizen Ali
10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Rosen College Computer Lab
This workshop will introduce the use of PLS-SEM (Partial Least Squares – Structural Equation Modeling) and will teach postgraduate students/new researchers how to conduct SEM using SmartPLS software and how to present the results professionally. The workshop offers a practical hands-on approach, with real research datasets and research questions that can be answered using these datasets. By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Understand the difference between two main types of SEM: Covariance-based SEM and PLS-SEM
- Understand the conditions where PLS-SEM can be used
- Apply PLS-SEM to analyze research data
- Basics of SEM
- Formative vs Reflective Measurement
- Second Order Factors
- Measurement Model Evaluation
- a. Convergent validity: 3 approaches (Factor loadings, AVEs, Reliability)
- b. Discriminant validity
- Structural Model analysis & evaluation.
- Moderating and Mediating Effect Analysis
- An Overview of Advanced PLS-SEM Analysis
For all participants, some knowledge of statistics, linear regression, and the characteristics of normal random variables and probability distributions will be helpful. A laptop is not required, but participants are welcome to bring one if desired. Dr. Ali will provide instruction on how to download a free version of SmartPLS.Register here